The God who waits for Lazarus to die before He engages

Our church is working through the gospel of John.  This sermon on suffering from the account of Lazarus’ sickness and death is a short but deeply meaningful exploration of our inscrutable God.  The contrast between our very good God and the very bad suffering He allows and seems at times to actually ordain is the hardest of Christian teachings to understand.

6 Responses to The God who waits for Lazarus to die before He engages

1. Brit February 2, 2012 at 10:55 pm #

i know i don't understand it. i'm afraid of thinking about this too hard…in some ways i think i'm afraid of it turning me away from God.

2. Wendy February 2, 2012 at 11:26 pm #

Brit, yours is a reasonable fear. I hope you will listen to the sermon. I think you will find great encouragement.

3. Anonymous February 3, 2012 at 2:05 pm #

I have always asked myself, why did God let him die and let everyone suffer through his death to bring him right back. Sometimes I think of this to help me remember we have a greater purpose and in death sometimes we only see the end, but Christ has the keys to death, hell, and the grave. Helps me think about our purpose to glorify God, because it is the chief end of mandatEdath might just be the beginning, but it is still so hard the thoughts of death of loved ones. Really random thoughts on this. Our associate pastor uses Deturonomy 29:29 for things like this.:) I can't seem to find the link to the sermons…?

4. Anonymous February 3, 2012 at 2:09 pm #

That was supposed to say, “chief end of man and death might just be”. Typing on my iPod sometimes doesn't turn out well. I apologize.

5. Wendy February 3, 2012 at 4:13 pm #

Anonymous, click on the words “This sermon” and it will take you to the sermon online.

6. Susanna February 20, 2012 at 7:04 pm #

I just finished Ed Welch's book, Running Scared. He addresses this. Looking forward to hearing the sermon. Thanks