A Praying Life

I’ve recommended a number of books on this blog. Some I like, and I think some of you might find helpful. They may say an intriguing thought that I share with you. But other times, I come across a book that I devour. That I reread. That hangs with me well after putting it down. That the Spirit uses to change me. Hearing Jesus Speak Into Your Sorrow was one. Counsel from the Cross was another. And currently, I am devouring A Praying Life by Paul Miller. Like Nancy Guthrie of Hearing Jesus Speak Into Your Sorrow, Miller has endured long term struggles with his children. I have found that authors/teachers saddled with a life long burden have a lot to say. At least to me. Sometimes it’s not what we necessarily want to hear. But once your naive notions of how the christian life will play out for you die their painful death, these authors are the ones that can speak the truth of Scripture in effective ways.

I have underlined paragraphs, starred sentences, and turned the corner of pages of this book with the thought of posting a blurb here. But now I have too many to post just one, and I can only say that if you are hurting and your previous view of prayer has been challenged by the struggles you have faced, READ THIS BOOK.

9 Responses to A Praying Life

1. Sandra January 5, 2011 at 1:47 pm #

I agree. Excellent book. Best book I've read on prayer.

2. LivewithFlair January 5, 2011 at 5:34 pm #

Thanks so much for this! Might I add a book that's changing my life profoundly right now? “Heaven” by Randy Alcorn. It has put so much perspective on my sorrow and my view of what I'm doing on earth. Have you read this? I can already see it shaping how I live. Today I thought about how we are surrounded by a “great cloud of witnesses”, cheering us on! Thanks!

3. Bina January 5, 2011 at 9:25 pm #

I LOVE this book for so many reasons. I rarely re-read books, but this one I have re-read and also listened to on itunes.

4. Virtue January 6, 2011 at 12:57 am #

Thanks Wendy – any chance you have a spot on your blog for a 'book list'? Would love to start recommending all your 'recommended' books to my friends!!

5. Saralyn January 6, 2011 at 3:33 am #

Amen! His book Love Walked Among Us: Learning to Love Like Jesus is another life-changing read.

6. Wendy January 6, 2011 at 4:50 am #

Virtue, thanks for the suggestion. Will do.

Saralyn, I will definitely add that to my list!

7. Liz January 8, 2011 at 10:58 pm #

Thanks, I'll be adding those book to my Azamon purchases for next month. I must recommend what I believe is probably the best book on Prayer/Suffering I've read to date:

God on Mute, Pete Greig.

It currently sits on my bedside table as I hope to read it again every 2-3 months this year.

8. Kara January 16, 2011 at 4:23 am #

I read this book right before Christmas and posted my review on my blog this week. I LOVED this book! I highlighted, underlined, and took notes on nearly every page! FANTASTIC book!

9. Lisa writes... January 16, 2011 at 10:18 pm #

I heartily and without reservation second your recommendation! Like Sandra, I think it's the best book I've read on prayer. Good stuff!